Who is this for?
These resources are intended for everyone involved in research and innovation activities across the University of Toronto (U of T) U of T community.
What do I need before I can begin?
You do not need to complete any prerequisites to use the information on this page.
Consistent with the recommendations of the Equity & Diversity in Research & Innovation Working Group, the Division of the Vice-President, Research & Innovation (VPRI), has compiled a list of useful equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) education resources, including both internal and external materials, to support best practices in research and innovation activities. This resources page is updated on an ongoing basis.
- Office the Vice-Provost, Faculty & Academic Life – Unconscious Bias Education Resources
- Canada Research Chairs (CRC)/Tri-Agencies – Unconscious Bias Training Module
- Division of the Vice-President, Research & Innovation (VPRI) – Best Practices in Peer Review
- VPRI – Canada Research Chairs: Guide to Nominations & Renewals
- Engendering Success in STEM – Resources
- CRC – Best Practices Guide for Recruitment, Hiring and Retention
- CRC – Guidelines for Assessing the Productivity of Nominees
- Social Sciences & Humanities Research Council (SSHRC) – Guidelines for the Merit Review of Indigenous Research
- AdvanceRIT – Examples of Bias in Letters of Recommendation
- University of Arizona Commission on the Status of Women – Avoiding Gender Bias in Reference Writing
EDI Practices for Team Composition and Training
- Natural Sciences & Engineering Council (NSERC) – Guide for Applicants: Considering Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Your Application
- New Frontiers in Research Fund (NFRF) – Best Practices in Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
- School of Graduate Studies (SGS) – Supervision Guidelines for Faculty: Creating Equality and Equity When Working with Students
- “Evidence-Based Strategies for Improving Diversity and Inclusion in Undergraduate Research Labs,” Frontiers in Psychology (2019)
- “Ten Simple Rules Toward Healthier Research Labs,” PLoS Computational Biology (2019)
Diversity in Research Design
- NSERC – Guide for Applicants: Considering Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Your Application
- SSHRC – Indigenous Research
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) – How to Integrate Sex and Gender into Research
- CIHR – Sex and Gender Champions
- Status of Women Canada – Gender-Based Analysis Plus (GBA+)
- Women’s College Hospital Women’s Xchange – The Health Researcher’s Toolkit: Why Sex & Gender Matter
- Gendered Innovations in Science, Health & Medicine, Engineering, and Environment
- U of T Family Care Office – Family Leaves
- SGS – Parental Grant (full-time doctoral students)
- Tri-Agencies – Maternity, Parental, Medical or Family Medical Leave for Grantees
- Tri-Agencies – Paid Maternity and Parental Leave for Students and Postdoctoral Fellows
- CRC – Leaves Policy
- NSERC – Discovery & Discovery Development Grants – Pilot for primary caregivers who are eligible for but decline taking extended leave
- Maintain and update this list of resources, in coordination with the Committee on Equity, Diversity & Inclusion in Research & Innovation