How do I get started in research?
This section aims to provide Principal Investigators (PIs) and those involved in research with key information to support research excellence from the initial stages.
Before getting started in research, it is important to be familiar with the following areas covered in this section.
- Eligibility to hold research funds
- Sponsor and University research and innovation regulations, policies & guidelines
- Legal requirements when your research involves animals and/or human subjects, hazardous materials, controlled goods, or imports and exports
Who is this for?
- Principals, Deans, Academic Directors, and Chairs
- Professor, Faculty Member
- Senior Research Associate, Research Associate
- Research Team Members
- Research or Financial Administrator
How does the VPRI support research & innovation?
The Division of the Vice-President, Research & Innovation (VPRI) provides a full range of services including guidance to faculty, staff and students on grants and funding, strategic initiatives, oversight, innovation and entrepreneurship, partnerships, policies and procedures, and institutional awards & honours.
What do I need before I can begin?
No information is required to begin. Please reach out to a VPRI contact using the staff directory search below if you have questions about how to get started in research and innovation.
List of Topics
- Provide assistance and advice on a wide range of research & innovation matters
Find the appropriate VPRI staff member to assist you by checking our staff directory. You may search by discipline area (e.g. Social Sciences, Health & Life Sciences, Natural Sciences or Engineering, etc.) or funding agency name.