How do I successfully manage my research funds?
In order to successfully manage research funds at the University of Toronto (U of T), it is important to understand the following critical elements.
- Roles and responsibilities
- Systems & tools
- Expenditures, including expense eligibility
- Policies and guidelines
- Special cases such as sub-grants and US funding
All these elements are covered in detail in this Manage Funding section of the website.
Who is this for?
- Principals, Deans, Academic Directors, and Chairs
- Professor, Faculty Member
- Research Team Member
- Research or Financial Administrator
What is the impact of managing funds correctly?
Correct management of research funding helps ensure adherence to both University and sponsor policies, guidelines and processes. Adhering to these regulations minimizes potential problems and the risk of non-funding by a sponsor.
What do I need before I begin?
The following items may be required.
List of Topics
Which financial policy do I follow?
In most instances, sponsor-specific financial policies and guidelines override the University of Toronto’s (U of T's) policies & guidelines.
When the sponsor-specific financial policies and guidelines are silent on a topic, the sponsor expectation is adherence to the University’s financial policies and guidelines. In instances where both the sponsor and the University have a financial policy and guideline on a specific topic, the more strict policy/guideline must be followed.
Who do I contact for help managing my research fund?
- For budget inquiries and to extend the fund: Please reach out to the 'Authorized By' contact listed in the FReD
- For all other financial matters including financial reporting & invoicing: Please contact the Research Accountant listed on the FReD.
- Provide guidance and education about the administration of research funding
Find the appropriate VPRI staff member to assist you by checking our staff directory. You may search by discipline area (e.g. Social Sciences, Health & Life Sciences, Natural Sciences or Engineering, etc.) or funding agency name.