Mandatory Animal User Training

Who is this for?

Anyone involved with animal care, research or teaching at the University of Toronto (U of T), including those in the following roles.

  • Professor, Faculty Member
  • Teaching Stream Faculty
  • Visiting Professor
  • Senior Research Associate, Research Associate
  • Postdoctoral Fellow
  • Student
  • Research Team Member

What do I need before I can begin?

Those looking to obtain mandatory animal user training must first ensure they have done the following.

  • Obtained a valid UTORid and U of T email address
  • Confirmed which species they will work with, the location of where the work will take place (i.e., relevant animal facility or fieldwork) and the expected start date of their animal work
  • Determined which Animal Use Protocol(s) (AUPs) they will be working under. Access required to either electronic or printed copies of the most up-to-date versions of each AUP
  • Determined which procedures they will be performing

Animal User Training

Animal users must successfully complete all relevant online training, hands-on training and/or competency assessments prior to working with animals. Refer to the Animal User Training Guideline to determine which modules are required for your work.

Forms & Downloads


  • Support the animal user training program
  • Keep records of all externally-delivered hands-on animal training

VPRI Contact

For questions about animal user training, please contact the Division of Comparative Medicine at  or 416-978-7746.

For questions about animal ethics and compliance, please reach out to the VPRI contact listed below.


General Inquiries: Animal Ethics & Compliance Unit

Research Oversight & Compliance Office (ROCO)
(416) 978-2798

Other Resources

CCAC Guidelines >Training of personnel working with animals in science

CCAC FAQs >Training of personnel working with animals in science