Who is this for?
Information about the University of Toronto (U of T) Research Ethics Boards (REBs) is for the following.
- Professors/faculty members, postdoctoral fellows, research team members, and students who are conducting human research for submission to an REB
- Course instructors and undergraduate students conducting course-based human research
- Researchers with Toronto Academic Health Science Network (TAHSN) hospital REB approvals that involve U of T
What do I need before I can begin?
Carefully review the information in the Ethics in Human Research section to fully understand who is eligible to conduct research at the University of Toronto (U of T) and when review of research by a U of T Research Ethics Board is required.
Ethics protocols are reviewed by one of the following University of Toronto (U of T) Research Ethics Boards REBs, depending on the departmental or faculty affiliation of the Principal Investigator (PI).
- Health Sciences REB
- Social Sciences, Humanities and Education REB
Social Sciences, Humanities and Education REB
Chair: Professor Samantha Hansen
Manager: Dean Sharpe
Research from: Faculties of Arts and Science, Information, Music, Education (OISE/UT), and the Toronto School of Theology.
Health Sciences REB
Chair: Professor Michael Atkinson
Manager: Daniel Gyewu
Research from: Faculties of Medicine (all departments), Applied Science and Engineering, Nursing, Pharmaceutical Sciences, Social Work, Physical Education & Health, Dentistry, and the Dalla Lana School of Public Health.
The deadline for delegated review is every Monday (or first business day of the week) by 4:00 PM. Investigators are advised to submit well in advance of their anticipated start date, recognizing that approvals must be obtained by supervisors (for student research) and the departmental chair/dean.
Full board submission deadlines and all meetings dates can be found by visiting Protocol Submission Deadlines & Who to Submit To.
For details on the process of submitting a protocol to an REB, please see Submit a Human Ethics Protocol.
- Coordinate, facilitate and manage REB operations