Who is this for?
Anyone interested in the summary of research misconduct complaints processed by the University of Toronto (U of T).
What do I need before I can begin?
There are no prerequisites to view the summary of research misconduct complaints addressed by the University and past findings are publicly available. Please reach out to a contact within the Division of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation (VPRI) if you have questions regarding the information below.
Please Note: Information current as of May 2020.
|Complaints Received 1||9||7||5||7||6||6||6||11||57|
|Preliminary Inquiries Conducted 4||9||7||5||7||6||6||6||11||57|
|Investigations Conducted 2,4||2||3||0||0||3||2||0||3||13|
|Research Misconduct Confirmed 3,4||4||0||1||0||2||1||1||1||10|
|Nature of the Research Misconduct Confirmed||Redundant publication (1 instance), Misleading publication in internal funding application (failure to obtain agreement of named co-applicants) (1 instance), breach of funding terms (1 instance), plagiarism (1 instance)||Misleading publication||Failure to follow direction of ACC (1 instance), Breach of privacy/failure to follow direction of REB/failure to reveal COI (1 instance)||Failure to follow direction of REB||Failure to obtain REB approval||Failure to follow applicable laws or regulations|
- Complaints over which the University had jurisdiction. If a complaint is made against a person who has an appointment at or conducts research in a fully affiliated or community affiliated teaching hospital, institutional jurisdiction over the complaint is determined in accordance with the Faculty of Medicine Research Misconduct Framework Addendum: Procedures for Determining Jurisdiction in Complaints Involving Certain Non-University Institutions.
- The Framework identifies a two-stage process: an initial gathering and review of information at a preliminary inquiry stage and, if recommended by the inquiry, a subsequent investigation.
- Includes confirmation of research misconduct at any stage in the process.
- Cases are listed by the year in which the complaint was received. Inquiries, investigations and final confirmation of misconduct may have occurred in a calendar year subsequent to the year of the complaint, but they have been attributed to the year when the complaint was received.
- Provide documentation and record keeping of all research misconduct complaints filed