What is equity, diversity and inclusion?
- Equity is the fair and respectful treatment of all people. Equity is the process; equality is the result
- Diversity is the demographic mix of the community, with a focus on the representation of equity-deserving groups
- Inclusion is the creation of an environment where everyone feels welcome, is treated with respect, and is able to fully participate
See the definitions below for more details.
Who is this for?
This information is intended for everyone involved in research and innovation activities across the University of Toronto (U of T) community.
Why is equity, diversity and inclusion important?
U of T is committed to equity and excellence in the pursuit of its academic mission because an equitable, diverse, and inclusive environment enables all scholars to reach their full potential and contribute to original, significant, and ground-breaking research across the University. Diversity strengthens the quality and impact of research by bringing together multiple ideas and perspectives.
What do I need before I can begin?
You do not need to complete any prerequisites to use the information on this page.
List of Topics
'Equity' is the fair and respectful treatment of all people and involves the creation of opportunities and reduction of disparities in opportunities and outcomes for diverse communities. It also acknowledges that these disparities are rooted in historical and contemporary injustices and disadvantages.
'Diversity' is the demographic mix of the university community and involves recognizing and respecting everyone’s unique qualities and attributes, but focuses particularly on groups who remain underrepresented at U of T.
'Inclusion' is the creation of an environment where everyone feels welcome and respected, focusing on groups that remain underrepresented at U of T. It means creating the conditions in which everyone has the opportunity to fully participate in the University and everyone’s talents are valued and celebrated.
It is important to note that while an inclusive group is by definition diverse, a diverse group is not always inclusive. An inclusive university strives for equity and respects, accepts and values difference.
- Provide guidance on Equity, Diversity and Inclusion (EDI) initiatives related to research and innovation
- Support the implementation of EDI best practices
- Support compliance with EDI requirements for federally sponsored research programs