Who is this for?
An understanding of who can be a principal investigator is important for the following roles.
- Professor, Faculty Members
- Teaching Stream Faculty
- Principals, Deans, Academic Directors & Chairs
- Research or Financial Administrator
What do I need before I can begin?
Review the University of Toronto’s (U of T) Guidelines Regarding Eligibility to be a Principal Investigator at the University of Toronto, which were developed in close consultation with the Provost’s Office. These guidelines clarify who is eligible to be the lead on a research application or funded research project.
A Principal Investigator (PI) conducts research and research-related activities ethically and in compliance with policies, terms and conditions. The PI authorizes activity and expenses on a funded research project.
The following are eligible to act as Principal Investigators on research grants and contracts.
- Individuals who hold paid academic appointments at the University that extend beyond the period of funding being requested
- Clinical faculty appointed under the Policy for Clinical Faculty
- Individuals who are employed at an affiliated institution (such as an affiliated teaching hospital) and hold a status only appointment at the University
- Retired faculty will be considered eligible with the authorization of their unit head
- In exceptional cases, approval of eligibility may be provided by the Provost
The University's Guidelines regarding PI eligibility supersede any eligibility policy set by a research sponsor.
Only those individuals who are eligible to act as PIs will have access to My Research – Applications (MRA), the on-line research application submission system through which all U of T research applications must be submitted prior to submission to a sponsor.
- Review the researcher's appointment status and duration prior to providing institutional endorsement of research funding applications and/or finalizing a research funding agreement.
Find the appropriate VPRI staff member to assist you by checking our staff directory. You may search by discipline area (e.g. Social Sciences, Health & Life Sciences, Natural Sciences or Engineering, etc.) or funding agency name.