Who is this for?
Any University of Toronto (U of T) stakeholder who is interested in the following.
- Reports and publications produced by the Division of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation (VPRI)
- U of T’s strategic research priorities for 2018-2023, particularly its seven broad thematic areas and five strategic objectives that support university scholarship
- Understanding a professor/faculty member can situate their work within a flexible framework that supports both disciplinary and interdisciplinary research
What do I need before I can begin?
There is no information required to view the Institutional Strategic Research Plan (ISRP). Please reach out a VPRI contact listed below if you have questions regarding the report.
For nearly two centuries, University of Toronto faculty, students, postdoctoral fellows, and staff have been extending the boundaries of knowledge and providing answers to some of the world’s most important questions.
The U of T Strategic Research Plan is a flexible framework that will engage the research community and our partners in the challenges that face humanity. The Plan highlights the environment and approach that will allow our researchers to continue to do their outstanding work by providing a climate that will enable them to thrive.
The Plan highlights the scope of scholarship at U of T and identifies seven interconnected thematic areas that are designed to facilitate excellence and collaboration both within U of T and with partner organizations, and to address issues of local, national, and global importance:
- DISCOVER: Our Understanding of Humanity and the Universe
- SUSTAIN: Societies, the Environment, and Natural Resources
- PROMOTE: Healthy People, Healthy Communities, and a Healthy World
- ENGAGE: Language, Culture, Art, and Values
- ADVANCE: Governance, Diversity, and Social Justice
- INNOVATE: Technologies for the Future
- BUILD: Community and Livable Societies
The Plan identifies five strategic objectives:
- Demonstrate National and Global Leadership in Research and Innovation
- Foster Collaborations, Partnerships, and Engagement
- Advance Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion across Research and Innovation
- Support Integration of Research and Innovation in Student Curricular and Co-Curricular Experience
- Strengthen the Institutional Supports that Foster Research and Innovation Excellence
- Respond to general questions about U of T’s strategic research priorities
- Respond to specific questions from faculty members about how they fit into the plan for purposes of applying to certain grant programs (e.g., the Canada Research Chairs program and Canada Foundation for Innovation require applicants to describe how their research fits into the ISRP)