Who is this for?
The STrengthening Administration of Research (STAR) program is aimed at University of Toronto (U of T) staff administering research and innovation funds, which includes the following.
- Professor, Faculty Member
- Research or Financial Administrator
What do I need before I can begin?
You do not need to complete any prerequisites to access STrengthening Administration of Research (STAR) resources.
Rules and regulations governing research and innovation can be numerous, complex, and sometimes difficult to navigate.
In 2015, the VPRI initiated the STrengthening the Administration of Research (STAR) education and outreach program. The goal of the STAR program is to provide educational resources that support the U of T research and innovation community with the following.
- Understanding and successfully navigating all steps of the research and innovation life cycles
- Being aware of the distinct roles of the wide range of people carrying out and supporting research and innovation
- Staying current with relevant processes and systems
- Sharing best practices
- Networking with peers and experts
Registration for the 2020 STAR conference: Guiding Success, is now open
- The Annual STAR conference
Registration for the 2020 STAR conference: Guiding Success is now open.
Join staff from VPRI, Procurement Services, Internal Audit, and Financial Services, in a day of learning, networking, and sharing best practices in administering research & innovation.
Presentations include the following*:
- Update on the New, Principles-Based Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration
- Workshop on Applying the Principles in the Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration
- At Your Service – Navigating the Service Agreement World at U of T
- Internal Audit Update
- Research Procurement
- Power Up with FIS & RIS!
- VPRI Newsbreak
*Agenda will vary by campus
Please note this conference is specifically intended for U of T staff administering research, such as business officers, research administrator/facilitators, finance-related staff, and faculty.
2020 St. George STAR Conference. See the St. George program
Date Time Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
2020 UTM STAR Conference. See the UTM program
Date Time Tues Feb 25, 2020 9:00 am - 3:30 pm Registration Closed
2020 UTSC STAR Conference
Date Time Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:00 am - 3:30 pm
Webcast: Update on the New, Principles-Based Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration
Unable to attend the 2020 STAR conference in-person? You can tune into the 1-hour live webcast of the ‘Update on Tri-Agency's New, Principles-Based Guide on Financial Administration’ session.
Please Note: Registration for this webcast is limited to those who have not registered to attend any of the STAR conferences in person.
Date Time Wed Feb 19, 2020 9:40 am - 10:40 am
- The Canadian Foundation for Innovation (CFI) and Ontario Research Fund (ORF) Workshops
These workshops cover the best administrative practices at each stage of the award’s life cycle. Workshops are held at various times in response to needs and emerging issues.
Save the date for these upcoming STAR CFI Workshops:
- Wed., Mar. 4, 2020, St. George campus
- Mon., Mar. 9, 2020, UTM
Please note this workshop is limited to U of T staff (e.g. business officers, project managers, research administrators/facilitators, finance-related staff) currently administering CFI/ORF awards. Relevant staff will be invited to register.
2019 Navigate and Network Conference
- Research & Innovation at the University of Toronto
- Foundations: The Basics of Research Administration
- When the Going Gets Tough: Advanced Topics In Research Administration
- What is EDI and Why Does It Matter to Research & Innovation
- My Research Systems: Putting the Jigsaw Together
- Innovations & Partnerships Office: When Research Leads to Agreements, Commercialization, and Inventions
- Internal Audit Findings
- Essential Updates
- VPRI Contacts Cheat Sheet
- Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide Eligible Expenses Table
- Innovations & Partnerships Office Contact List
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Research & Innovation: Resources
CFI/ORF Workshop: Fair Market Value for Purchases with In-Kind Under $100,000 November 2018
CFI/ORF Workshop, March 2018
- CFI ORF RI Programs
- CFI ORF Roles and Responsibilities
- CFI ORF Application Phase
- CFI ORF Award Notification and Finalization Phase
- CFI ORF: Procurement
- CFI ORF Project Implementation: Part 1
- CFI ORF Project Implementation: Part 2
- CFI ORF Project Completion
- CFI ORF Best Practices
- Infrastructure Operating Fund
- CFI ORF Assessment Matrix
- CFI ORF Sample Budget
- CFI ORF Assessment Sample 1
- CFI ORF Assessment Sample 2
- Provide training and education to the U of T community to facilitate and support successful research and innovation
- Collaborating with research stakeholders to develop new and effective ways to provide training and outreach