Who is this for?
The STrengthening Administration of Research (STAR) program is aimed at University of Toronto (U of T) staff administering research and innovation funds, which includes the following.
- Professor, Faculty Member
- Research or Financial Administrator
What do I need before I can begin?
You do not need to complete any prerequisites to access STrengthening Administration of Research (STAR) resources.
Rules and regulations governing research and innovation can be numerous, complex, and sometimes difficult to navigate.
In 2015, the VPRI initiated the STrengthening the Administration of Research (STAR) education and outreach program. The goal of the STAR program is to provide educational resources that support the U of T research and innovation community with the following.
- Understanding and successfully navigating all steps of the research and innovation life cycles
- Being aware of the distinct roles of the wide range of people carrying out and supporting research and innovation
- Staying current with relevant processes and systems
- Sharing best practices
- Networking with peers and experts
The Annual STAR conference
The annual STAR conference is focused on improving knowledge about the administration of research funds. The STAR conference is usually held in February/March at the downtown Toronto campus, Mississauga campus, and Scarborough campus.
The Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) and Ontario Research Fund (ORF) Workshops
These workshops cover the best administrative practices at each stage of the award’s life cycle. Workshops are held at various times in response to needs and emerging issues.
You can download copies of the previous presentations and associated resources by clicking on the links below.
2020 Guiding Success Conference
- Update on the New, Principles-Based Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration (TAGFA)
- Workshop on Applying the Principles in the Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration
(scenario answers to be posted shortly)
- TAGFA Quick Guide
- TAGFA Workshop Reference
- Power Up with FIS & RIS!
- Power Up with FIS & RIS: Key Information Systems Used in Research Administration
- Power Up with FIS & RIS: FIS & RIS Reports
- Research Procurement (St George)
- Research Procurement (UTM)
- Research Procurement (UTSC)
- At Your Service: Navigating the Service Agreement World at U of T
- Internal Audit Update
CFI/ORF Workshop: Fair Market Value for Purchases with In-Kind Under $100,000, November 2018
- Provide training and education to the U of T community to facilitate and support successful research and innovation
- Collaborating with research stakeholders to develop new and effective ways to provide training and outreach