Who is this for?
The Strengthening Administration of Research (STAR) program is currently aimed at University of Toronto (U of T) staff administering research funds which includes the following.
- Professor, Faculty Member
- Research or Financial Administrator
What do I need before I can begin?
You do not need to complete any prerequisites to access STAR resources or to participate in the program.
Rules and regulations governing research and innovation can be numerous, complex, and sometimes difficult to navigate.
In 2015, the VPRI initiated the STrengthening the Administration of Research (STAR) education and outreach program. The goal of the STAR program is to provide educational resources that support the U of T research and innovation community with the following.
- understanding and successfully navigating all steps of the research and innovation life cycles
- being aware of the distinct roles of the wide range of people carrying out and supporting research and innovation
- staying current with relevant processes and systems
- sharing best practices
- networking with peers and experts
- The Annual STAR conference
The annual STAR conference is focused on improving knowledge about the administration of research funds. The STAR conference is usually held in February/March at the downtown Toronto campus, Mississauga campus, and Scarborough campus.
- The Canadian Foundation for Innovation (CFI) and Ontario Research Fund (ORF) Workshops
These workshops cover the best administrative practices at each stage of the award’s life cycle. Workshops are held at various times in response to needs and emerging issues.
2019 Navigate and Network Conference
- Research & Innovation at the University of Toronto
- Foundations: The Basics of Research Administration
- When the Going Gets Tough: Advanced Topics In Research Administration
- What is EDI and Why Does It Matter to Research & Innovation
- My Research Systems: Putting the Jigsaw Together
- Innovations & Partnerships Office: When Research Leads to Agreements, Commercialization, and Inventions
- Internal Audit Findings
- Essential Updates
- VPRI Contacts Cheat Sheet
- Tri-Agency Financial Administration Guide Eligible Expenses Table
- Innovations & Partnerships Office Contact List
- Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion in Research & Innovation: Resources
CFI/ORF Workshop: Fair Market Value for Purchases with In-Kind Under $100,000 November 2018
CFI/ORF Workshop, March 2018
- CFI ORF RI Programs
- CFI ORF Roles and Responsibilities
- CFI ORF Application Phase
- CFI ORF Award Notification and Finalization Phase
- CFI ORF: Procurement
- CFI ORF Project Implementation: Part 1
- CFI ORF Project Implementation: Part 2
- CFI ORF Project Completion
- CFI ORF Best Practices
- Infrastructure Operating Fund
- CFI ORF Assessment Matrix
- CFI ORF Sample Budget
- CFI ORF Assessment Sample 1
- CFI ORF Assessment Sample 2
- Provide training and education to the U of T community to facilitate and support successful research and innovation
- Collaborating with research stakeholders to develop new and effective ways to provide training and outreach