Who is this for?
The STrengthening Administration of Research (STAR) program is aimed at University of Toronto (U of T) staff administering research and innovation funds, which includes the following.
- Professor, Faculty Member
- Research or Financial Administrator
What do I need before I can begin?
You do not need to complete any prerequisites to access STrengthening Administration of Research (STAR) resources.
The updated STAR Workshop Series spring schedule is now available. See below for details!
Rules and regulations governing research and innovation can be numerous, complex, and sometimes difficult to navigate.
In 2015, the Division of the Vice-President, Research and Innovation (VPRI) initiated the STrengthening the Administration of Research (STAR) education and outreach program. The goal of the STAR program provides educational resources that support the University of Toronto’s (U of T’s) research and innovation community in the following.
- Understanding and successfully navigating all steps of the research and innovation life cycles
- Being aware of the distinct roles of the wide range of people carrying out and supporting research and innovation
- Staying current with relevant processes and systems
- Sharing best practices
- Networking with peers and experts
The 2021 STAR conference has been transformed into a series of virtual workshops held over the course of the year.
Join your peers in expanding your knowledge on preparing for audits, the new procurement thresholds, research service vs. collaboration agreements, administering Canada Foundation for Innovation funds, the Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration, and more.
This schedule of online workshops will continue to be updated so check back often! Registration links will be posted as they become available.
Research Administration Processes: The Impact of COVID-19
|Thurs Jan 28, 2021||10:30 am - 11:30 am||Closed|
Research Procurement Updates
|Wed Feb 17, 2021||10:30 am - 11:30 am||Closed|
Internal Audit: Understanding Research Expenditure Compliance
|Wed Mar 10, 2021||10:00 am - 11:00 am||Closed|
Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration: Part 1
|Wed May 12, 2021||2:00 pm - 3:00 pm||Save the Date|
Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration: Part 2
|Thurs May 13, 2021||10:00 am - 11:00 am||Save the Date|
The Canada Foundation for Innovation (CFI) Workshops (By invitation only)
Please Note: The CFI workshops are limited to U of T staff (e.g. Business Officers, Project Managers) currently administering CFI awards. Relevant staff will be invited to register.
The CFI workshops cover the best administrative practices at each stage of the award’s life cycle. Save the date for these upcoming CFI Workshops:
- CFI Workshop Part 1: Post-award Management, Thursday, April 8, 2021, 10:30 am -12:00 pm
- CFI Workshop Part 2: Fair Market Value, Tuesday, May 4, 2021, 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm
You can view previous presentations and download associated resources by clicking on the links below.
2021 STAR Workshop Series
Please note: A valid UTORid is needed to access the workshop recordings.
- Research Administration Processes: The Impact of COVID-19 (Slides .pdf)
- Research Administration Processes: The Impact of COVID-19 (Video recording)
- Research Procurement Updates (Slides .pdf)
- Research Procurement Updates (Video recording)
- Internal Audit: Understanding Research Expenditure Compliance (Slides .pdf)
- Internal Audit: Understanding Research Expenditure Compliance (Video recording)
2020 Guiding Success Conference
- Update on the New, Principles-Based Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration (TAGFA)
- Workshop on Applying the Principles in the Tri-Agency Guide on Financial Administration
- TAGFA Quick Guide
- TAGFA Workshop Reference
- Power Up with FIS & RIS!
- Power Up with FIS & RIS: Key Information Systems Used in Research Administration
- Power Up with FIS & RIS: FIS & RIS Reports
- Research Procurement (St George)
- Research Procurement (UTM)
- Research Procurement (UTSC)
- At Your Service: Navigating the Service Agreement World at U of T
- Internal Audit Update
CFI/ORF Workshop: Fair Market Value for Purchases with In-Kind Under $100,000, November 2018
- Fair Market Value CFI Expectations
- Procurement at U of T
- Determining Fair Market Value
- Valuation of FMV for Items With CFI In-Kind Contributions
- Market Comparison Document
- FMV - Quote #1
- FMV - Quote #2
- FMV - Quote #3
CFI Workshop, March 2020
- Provide training and education to the U of T community to facilitate and support successful research and innovation
- Collaborating with research stakeholders to develop new and effective ways to provide training and outreach